Saturday, November 17, 2007

Insider Information: Popping the question

At any respectable Target store, "sales floor team members" (Target employees who wander the store, tidying up and helping customers) come across as cheerful, helpful individuals. But next time you shop there, pay close attention to how these red-and-khaki clad folks greet you.

If they're doing their jobs properly, each and every one of them will be asking, "Can I help you find something?"

Target loves this line. They drill it into the heads of their employees from day one. I learned this phrase during training, but I never expected to actually use it. I figured any kind of greeting would work: "Are you finding everything OK?" or "Do you need help finding something?" or "Can I help you?"

I soon learned that my co-workers never used any of these variations - it was always, "Can I help you find something?" I picked up the habit, and used the phrase whenever I greeted a customer.

Now, I always notice when I'm asked this question. I've heard it a few times in the stores around Syracuse and in the one in Vestal. Once, I called a Target, and the woman answering the phone used the line on me.

I understand the idea behind this scripted customer service - Target wants its employees to have something to say without having to think too hard - but it feels kind of impersonal. If an employee wants to ask me, "Can I help you find what you're looking for?" or "Do you need any help today?, I say they should go for it.

No comments: